23 August 2023

Two street signs


If anyone ever writes a piece on the history of street signs in Richmond with the variations in fonts and information provided then I would love to read it but, until then, I will content myself with taking photographs of the ones that I find interesting.

This sign at the Sudbrook Lane end of Hazel Lane is oddly low, aimed at dogs perhaps, and is notable for the clear sans serif font and the lack of other information. This is all that a sign needs to be.

 

This Mead Row sign is a distorted mirror view of the first. It is unusually high and while it is equally simple the font is slightly less easy to read because it is less thick. It has serifs but these are quite small and do not detract from the legibility.

Obviously the rust is an issue but if Mead Road gets a new sign then I hope that this one is left behind as a small piece of local history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even if I disagree with them.