27 December 2020

Blocked paths


One of the things that I love most about Ham is its permeability, the network of roads and paths which mean that I can walk in almost any direction at any time and two of my biggest gripes are that you cannot walk through from Sheridan Road to Cleves Road or Lock Road and that you cannot walk through Martingales Close or Bishops Close to anywhere. I really hate dead-ends!

Wates Estate is (mostly) a great pleasure to walk through as there are little paths running all over the place, some more obvious that others. However there are some paths that have clearly been closed off and others that I suspect have been, like these two running from Ferrymoor towards, but not reaching, Riverside Drive.



The style of the paving is that used for public paths and clearly there is no point building a path that leads nowhere so I can only presume that they used to give access to Riverside Drive but, some time ago, a hedge was planted to block the way.

I can understand the thinking that blocking paths improves security but the data shows otherwise, burglars know they are less likely to be spotted on paths that are not used, and I would like to see all of the blocked paths in Wates Estate opened up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even if I disagree with them.