3 October 2016

Remodelling the former Ham Institute


One of the several projects that I am keeping an eye on at the moment is the remodelling of the former Ham Institute in New Road and at the moment I do not like what I see. The Mock Tudor wood is still there but is no longer black which just looks wrong to me. Also wrong in my book is rendering over the brick facing on the ground floor.

What is left is almost relentlessly grey with almost all of the detail that made the building look interesting before lost under the render. This is particularly true around the door and windows where the patterned bricks have been covered for reasons that I do not understand.

I like the idea of echoing the decoration above the windows in the front wall but that is too little to rescue the appearance. Perhaps there is more work to be done and the finished result will look better. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even if I disagree with them.