22 June 2023

Advance Warning


The maintenance of the bridges to Teddington by the Lock has been an issue for many years and many people will remember when the bridge on the Teddington side was painted by a volunteer who seemed to be working on it constantly. Finally, after many false rumours in recent years, the bridges are getting some major maintenance done.

I am also intrigued by the given names of the bridges. I have always called these Teddington Lock Footbridges, or more lazily just Teddington Footbridge, using Wikipedia as my guide, and the names Teddington Bridge and Lock Cut Bridge are new to me. Teddington Bridge is just a further shortening of Teddington Footbridge and as this is the only crossing in Teddington there is no confusion so I am happy to accept this. While I understand how Lock Cut Bridge got its name it is not a name I intend to use and I suspect that not many other people will either.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even if I disagree with them.