16 April 2018

Spring tides at Teddington Lock


There was a time, when the children were boys not men, that I checked the tide tables and went along the towpath when high tides were due but those days are now long-gone and I am as surprised as everyone else when I chance upon a particularly high tide.

I noticed this one as soon as I started crossing the footbridge from Teddington as the water was above the level of the weir making it redundant.



The tide was still coming in as I walked around the island and then along the towpath. Here you can see the ledge that boat people stand on when guiding their boats through the lock.



The Barge Lock looks a very full as the extra height widens the water and hides most of the construction. Only the stairs give a clue that there might be something in the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are welcome. Comments are moderated only to keep out the spammers and all valid comments are published, even if I disagree with them.